Animal / Dog Bites
Injury Attorneys Serving Dog Bite Victims in Santa Ana, Riverside, Anaheim and all of Orange County
Dog and other animal bites can result in a significant amount of trauma, emotional distress, and physical injury. In California, dog bite attacks have significant consequences for the injured victim, including but not limited to: puncture wounds, disfigurement, scarring, nerve damage, infection, loss of blood, and even death. However, for some individuals, the most traumatic consequence that results from a dog attack is not physical – it’s psychological. It is the emotion and fear that lingers long after the accident that can include depression, anxiety, extreme fear of animals, insomnia and other psychological problems that may always haunt the victim. Regardless of the severity of a dog attack, it is often significant enough to result in substantial emotional distress. Animal attacks should never be taken lightly.
In California, there are laws designed to protect the rights of individuals who have been injured by an animal bite. California is known as a “strict liability” state when it comes to animal bites. Under the law, the owner of a dog is strictly liable for any dog bite that results during the period of time in which the dog belongs to the owner. Strict liability means there are no defenses that the owner of the dog can raise – and the injured person does not need to prove negligence (which is typically required to be shown for most other personal injury claims). California Civil Code Section 3342(a) provides as follows:
“The owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness. A person is lawfully upon the private property of such owner within the meaning of this section when he is on such property in the performance of any duty imposed upon him by the laws of this state or by the laws or postal regulations of the United States, or when he is on such property upon the invitation, express or implied, of the owner”
There are some exceptions to this rule. For example, if you are injured by a dog while trespassing upon the dog owner’s property, or if you were provoking the animal, then you may not be able to bring a claim against the dog owner. In any event, you should contact an experienced animal bite attorney as soon as possible following the incident so that the strength of your case may be evaluated. At Sky Law Group APC, our dog bite attorneys have extensive experience – both inside and outside of the courtroom- fighting for our injured clients and getting them the compensation they deserve. We will arrange for your immediate medical treatment and navigate through the legal process of making a strict liability claim. Call us today at 1-844-4SKYLAW to begin your road to recovery, compensation, and peace of mind.
DOG BITE CHECKLIST:
If you or your loved one has been injured on involved in a dog bite attack, there are a number of steps to take to ensure your health and maximize the value of your dog bite claim. Below are some of these steps:
- Medical Care – if your injuries are severe, call an ambulance, or ask to be taken to the hospital or emergency room right away. Severe animal bites can result in loss of blood – which can be life threatening if not treated immediately. Even if your injuries are minor, you should still go to your doctor immediately to see if your wounds are infected.
- Report the Incident to Animal Control – For the public’s safety, and to ensure that such an incident doesn’t occur again with the same animal, you should report the dog bite attack to your local Animal Control agency. Provide them with as many details as possible pertaining to the bite and circumstances surrounding the bite. Be sure to ask them for a report of their findings – which can be helpful in strengthening your animal bite claim.
- Photographs – Most injuries heal over time and in order to document the true severity of your injuries, it’s best to take a photograph of all bites, wounds and marks resulting from the dog attack. It’s also advisable to take photos of the surrounding area and any other photos that would help to establish your case.
- Witnesses – Witnesses can be key in strengthening your case. If there are witnesses to an attack, be sure to request their names, phone numbers and addresses in case they need to be contacted in the future.
- Sky Law Group APC – Call an experienced dog bite attorney immediately. Our attorneys at Sky Law Group APC have recovered millions of dollars for our injured clients and will lead you through the process of obtaining medical treatment, monetary compensation and peace of mind.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Our attorneys are on standby and ready to speak with you today regarding your case. We will listen to you, guide you, and get you the justice and compensation that you deserve. We look forward to hearing from you. Contact us today. 1-844-4SKYLAW